The Presidio Museum complex includes a historic building, built in 1908, that was originally a residential duplex. While the rest of the Presidio Museum complex was renovated using bond money from the Rio Nuevo Multipurpose District (RNMD), and opened to the public as a museum in 2008, the duplex building was not included in the original project. It had stood empty since the 1980’s and continued to stand empty even as the Presidio Museum became an important cultural landmark in downtown Tucson.
A decade passed before new Board Members for RNMD directed their attention back to the project. The Presidio Museum is so thankful to have built a partnership with these Board Members: Fletcher McCusker, Jannie Cox, Edmund Marquez, Mark Irvin, Chris Scheafe and Jeff Hill to complete what was started!
Several years were spent to get to the point of starting construction. First a business model was developed that combined respect for the mission of the Museum with a desire to bring economic activity to the area. A detailed architectural plan was developed by architect Bob Lanning that preserved the historic character of the building and the complex. Input was received from neighbors and neighboring businesses, (thanks La Cocina and El Charro). Then the City of Tucson Historic Preservation and Planning Departments were consulted for their sign-off. A 15 month delay due to Covid slowed things down…but finally construction has commenced!
Please enjoy these photos of the project as it gets underway!
Photo taken May 2015 from street: Before a volunteer project by Cox Communications was done to improve the exterior.